Monday, June 25, 2012

The Top Five Pixar Movies

(For #13-6, see my previous post "Pixar From Best To Worst: Part 1." The two posts were supposed to be one, but I had a a meeting with my business partner Mark Sandberg from Vermont over some undisclosed settlements from the last quarter I went to sleep before finishing.)

Every movie here is a classic, a wonderful, wonderful film that should be cherished for years to come. Choosing between them was extremely hard.

5. Wall-E
The robots in this movie are perhaps the most human of all the Pixar characters. The story of Wall-E and Eve is a great romance. The story is a cautionary tale about the future of humanity that somehow manages to be inspirational and hopeful, and we see all the political upheaval and world crisis through the eyes of a simpler character, sort of like Forrest Gump. But with more robots. And it's a better movie than Forrest Gump.

Best Line: (Eve, as Wall-E lays dying in her arms) "Wall-E."

4. Ratatouille
Definetely the most underrated Pixar movie, I bet most of you reading this didn't even think of Ratatouille when you opened the article. But it's a great one. I love food, and this movie talks about food a lot, which is good. Also, the visuals of Paris are amazing, and Peter O' Toole's performance as Ego has me in shivers every time. A heartwarming tale of friendship.

Best Line (Anton Ego) "I don't like food, I love it. If I don't love it, I don't swallow."

3. Up

The first 20 minutes of this movie, narrating Carl's life with Ellie up until her death is the saddest piece of film I've ever seen. It's simply beautiful. With its minimal dialogue, it could have gone on to be one of the Pixar shorts, but the real story is what happens to Carl after what seems to be the last adventure of his life. Because after there's a whole new adventure. And part of that adventure is Christopher Plummer trying to kill him, which must have been a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Best Line: (Dug, the dog) "Hey, I know a joke! A squirrel walks up to a tree and says, "I forgot to store acorns for the winter and now I am dead." Ha! It is funny because the squirrel gets dead. "

2. Toy Story 3

You saw this movie. You cried. Don't worry, I did too. Even though I wasn't born yet when Toy Story came out and only an infant when the second was in theaters, I have fond memories of Toy Story from when I was a small child, just like millions of other people do. Due to the toy aspect, the movies even stir up those feelings for people who were adults when the movie came out. And Toy Story 3 does with those memories and feelings what it does with its characters: almost burning them to death in a giant furnace before swiftly saving them and preserving them happily forever.

Best Line: (Lotso, having sentenced the gang to death) "Where's your kid now, Sheriff?"

1. Finding Nemo



This is the best children's movie ever, and one of the best movies. There is not one wrong note. Every character is interesting and memorable, the scenes of the ocean are breathtaking, every joke is hilarious, and the story is touching as can be. This is a pick-me-up movie. It will make you smile, no matter what mood you're in. It's a real work of art, and it's the greatest Pixar movie of all time.

Best Line: Pick any Dory line.

No comments:

Post a Comment