Thursday, May 31, 2012

The World's Greatest Hummus

Hello, viewing populace! There is much to blog about today, much indeed. Well, actually, there's only one topic, but it's an extensive one! The topic is Jerusalem, what most people would answer with if you asked them to name a city in Israel. Jerusalem is an ancient city, holy to Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. It is also home to the greatest hummus restaurant in the world. I'll have more on that later.

This morning, I was woken up at 8:00 to a breakfast of a melting chocolate croissant and lukewarm milk. It was pretty tasty. After eating it, I sat for a while. I also got dressed and brushed my teeth, but I assume you're not interested in that, so I'll skip ahead to the part where we got off the bus and entered Jerusalem.

Not having gotten much sleep the night before, I had been looking forward to sleeping on the bus, but my mission was a failure. Thus, for about the first ten minutes after getting off the bus, I felt really tired. But then we arrived at our first destination, and my mood brightened considerably. We were at one of those outdoor markets that are all the rage with the kids these days. I snapped some pics of fruit.

As we continued through the market, we got deeper and deeper into the city of Jerusalem. It was really interesting because of the combination of old and new. There were modern shopping centers and restaurants built into ancient stone buildings, and we stupid-looking American tourists were walking right next to traditionally-dresses orthodox Jews.

There were many cool things in the market. I saw a bunch of talented guitarists playing out in the open. I tried yelling "Free Bird!" at them, but they didn't listen. Something else I noticed was the huge amount of Jesus. So much Jesus.











Now about the delicious hummus, or humous, or turpentine, or however you spell it. It's at a little restaurant called AbuShukri on Jerusalem, and it's the greatest in the world. It is necessary to try it should you ever go to Jerusalem.












The apex of the day was our visit to the Western Wall, the only wall left standing of the Second Holy Temple. Funnily, my camera died right after taking this shot. Seeing the Western Wall was a mixed bag. The wall itself was an awesome sight. The partition dividing men from women was not. I couldn't believe such old, stupid ideas were still active in such an advancing, important city. I really wanted to climb up on top of the partition and yell,
"Mr. Netanyahu, tear down this wall!"



After seeing the wall, we walked back to the bus station and went back to the apartment, before having a Georgian dinner. As in, food from Georgia, a country I do not know much about, but who's food is delicious. Then we went back to the apartment, at which point I began blogging. I continued to blog, until I got to the point where I typed this sentence that you are currently reading. I then wrote this sentence, and finished blogging.

1 comment: