Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Schnitzel and History

In my last blog (also my first) yesterday morning, I said I was going to the beach. Immediately after typing that, I went to the beach. Behold the beach. 
("Behold the beach" being, as you would point out, Mrs. Dominick, an imperative sentence.) At said beach, my family sat on beach chairs and tried to get tan, my dad only joining us after playing a computer game for an hour. We all decided that he wasn't allowed to abandon family activities to play computer games anymore, but I have a feeling he won't follow that decision. I went in the water for a little, but it was boring as there were no waves.
"Lame," I said to the Mediterranean sea, "try harder."
Quite an epic picture, I know.


After the beach we went to an outdoor market and a crafts fair. There were many musical performers on the streets, some good, some terrible, and one that appeared to be a gospel group, which is rather unusual for Israel. At the market we saw lots of tasty-looking fruits and bought some grapes. We also saw the usual bootleg T-Shirts of popular characters, and some fruits that did not look tasty. Behold fruit.



At the crafts fair, there were, well, crafts. Some were pretty cool. there were some dioramas of the lives of famous people, although one was of Coca-Cola, which is a soft drink, not a person. There were also small sculptures made out of spoons and forks, and hundreds of exact replicas of the human body, apparently carbon-based.

Hours later, we went to dinner at a tapas restaurant. Their menu advertises The Best Ice Cream In Town. As far as I know, that's true. That stuff was delicious.

This morning we woke up bright and much too early. After eating a cinnamon danish, I walked to the place where we met our tour guide, Muki. Everyone else walked to meet Muki also, but they didn't eat cinnamon danishes, and so my sentence would have been either a lie or grammatically incorrect, and we wouldn't want that, now, would we, Mrs. Dominick? (That sentence had way too many commas.) Over the course of six hours, Muki walked us all through Tel Aviv, teaching us about the city's history. We learned all about Bauhaus, a style of architecture that favors function over beauty, which originated in Germany but was stopped during the rise of Nazism. Tel Aviv has the most Bauhaus buildings in the world. We also saw lots of graffiti. Pretty much everywhere you look in Tel Aviv there's graffiti. Some of it is very pretty while some is simply words written out.

We learned about Chaim Nachman Bialik, who hid Zionist messages in his nursery rhymes, and we learned about Mayor Mayor Dizengoff, who's first name was also his job. At the end of the day, we went to a cemetery in which many famous Tel Avivians are buried, and of which I'd have many pictures if my computer weren't spazzing out.

Oh, how could I forget? It's even in the title! I had schnitzel for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment